Passover Made Simple
This is a simple version of Passover followed by commentary
on the 4 cups of wine and the cup of Elijah.
Step I: Remove leaven from the house, apartment or room if you live with parents or others who are not celebrating. This means taking out any yeasted bread, cookies, crackers, anything with leavening agents in them such as yeast, baking soda or baking powder. Leaven symbolizes sin and corruption. See I Cor. 5:6-8.
Step II: Preparation – what you will need
Hard boiled egg; this is a reminder of the Temple Holyday Sacrifice
and also a symbol of life. It was offered at the
Lamb; this and the lamb bone are reminders of the
- bone of lamb
- bitter herbs (horseradish)
- greens: parsley, pieces of lettuce
- salt water
charoset, representing the mortar slaves in
(For charoset mix together 1/2 red apple chopped in pieces, 1 t chopped nuts, dash of wine or grape juice, 1 t cinnamon.)
- matzah or unleavened crackers such as Ryvita
- wine or grape juice
Step III: Passover Seder (pronounced “say dar” – means “order”)
- Begin Seder with a prayer of thanks to our Heavenly FATHER ABBA YAHUVEH for all HE has done for us and will do for us, HIS Children, as HE protects us and watches over us through all the trials of our life and to HIS SON YAHUSHUA our MASHIACH and soon coming BRIDEGROOM for HIS Salvation for us on Calvary and to IMMAYAH our Heavenly MOTHER who watches over us and guides and leads us in every step we take if we but obey.
- Pour cup of wine or grape juice and say the blessing over it. Example: “Blessed are YOU ABBA YAHUVEH, our Heavenly FATHER and CREATOR of the universe, CREATOR of the fruit of the vine. YOU have made us Holy through the shed Blood of YOUR SON YAHUSHUA our MASHIACH. YOU have brought us safely thus far and we thank YOU for guiding and leading us every day of our lives. We give YOU all Praise, Honor and Glory now and forever! Blessed be the Name of YAHUVEH GOD ALMIGHTY! The Name of YAHUSHUA our MASHIACH and IMMAYAH, MOMMA SHKHINYAH GLORY, our Beloved RUACH HA KODESH, the only QUEEN of Heaven!” (Please add your own prayers.) Drink wine or grape juice.
- Wash hands
Dip parsley into salt water and eat explaining that the salt water reminds
us of the tears the Jews cried in
Eat matzah, explaining that the matzah,
or unleavened bread is a reminder of the haste with which the Jews left
Eat bitter herbs, horseradish.
Usually a piece of the greens or a piece of matzah
are dipped into the horseradish and then eaten. This reminds us the Egyptians
“embittered” or made bitter, disagreeable, the lives of the Jews who we are as
we are grafted into the vine through YAHUSHUA. (
Step IV: Read aloud the Passover Story, Exodus 10 – 15.
The traditional Passover meal of lamb is eaten at this point. This is optional.
Step V: Boiled egg: The boiled egg is to be eaten now, dipped in
the salt water. It may be eaten at the beginning of the Passover meal or by
itself if you are not eating a meal. The hard boiled egg is a symbol of the
suffering and oppression in
Additionally, YAHUVEH has revealed to Prophet Elisabeth that the 3 parts of the TRINITY are like the egg – each is distinct and yet part of the whole. As ABBA YAHUVEH has said to Elisabeth, “Which part of the egg is the egg? Is it the shell? The albumem (white part) or the yolk?” Of course it is all three – each distinct and yet each making up the whole, the egg. Amazing, isn’t it?
Step VI: Read aloud Psalm 126, a Psalm of celebration and victory…
“Those who sow in tears, will reap with joy unceasing!...” Thank YOU ABBA YAHUVEH for the victory over all the things in our lives that are not of YOU in the Name of YAHUSHUA our MASHIACH!
* * * * * * *
4 Cups of Wine
Traditionally in the Passover Seder 4 cups of wine or grape juice
are consumed throughout the Seder though this is not mandated by YAHUVEH. The 4
cups represent the 4 types of redemption ABBA YAHUVEH uses in describing the
Jews’ exodus from
1. “I will free you from the forced labor of the Egyptians…”
2. I will “rescue you from their oppression…”
3. I will “redeem you with an outstretched arm…”
4. “I will take you as MY People and I will be your GOD…”
Traditionally there is also a 5th cup of wine called, “The Cup of Elijah.” This cup is poured but not drunk and the door opened in anticipation of the coming of Elijah the Prophet to announce the MESSIAH, the MASHIACH, YAHUSHUA.
The Prophet Elijah is considered the bearer of good tidings of joy and peace. The name of Elijah is associated with the coming of the MASHIACH, whose advent Elijah is expected to announce.
We read: “I will send you the Prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers;” (Malachi 4:4-6a
Jewish tradition has it that
Elijah visits every Jewish home at the Seder and sips the cup. When
YAHUSHUA said of John the Baptist
in Mark 9:13 & Matthew 11:14, “And they asked HIM (YAHUSHUA), ‘Why do the
teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?’
“Elijah has come” - This was true in the person of John the Baptist who heralded YAHUSHUA’S coming when HE came to earth 2000+ years ago.